This past weekend Kyle and I made Grape Juice! We got the recipe from one of the cookbooks we received as a wedding gift, which was actually quite simple : )
We had purchased the concord grapes from the local grocery store (on sale!) ,2 2L containers which was enough to make 14 1 litre jars, earlier in the week.
Here is the recipe (these grapes are only in season once a year so grab this opportunity while you can!)
Prepare your jars as you would for canning:
1. Wash jars and lids. Place jars on rack in boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180 F/ 82 C).
2. Set screw bands aside; heat snap lids in hot water, NOT boiling. Keep jars and snap lids hot until ready to use.
Grape Juice Recipe:
1. In each jar place:
1 cup concord grapes
1/4 cup sugar
2. Fill the jar with boiling water, up to 1/2" from the top.
3. Seal and process in hot water bath for ten minutes.
(center your snap lid on the jar; apply screw band securely and firmly- until resistance is met- do not over tighten. After jars are in canner with hot water-covered by at least 1 inch of water- bring water to full rolling boil).
4. After time has elapsed allow water to cool and remove jars. Store in a cool, dry place. Inspect after 24 hours that jars have sealed properly. (Sealed lids curve downward and do not move when pressed. When a jar 'pops' it has sealed).
and enjoy... 4 months from now!
(Store for 4 Months before using)
Now we just have to wait until January 23rd! (we already have it marked on the Calendar!)
estimated costs: $6.00